Monday 22 July 2013

A magic Genie would have been wonderful!

In April, whilst taking some leave from baking, I received a request to make an Aladdin themed cake to feed 320 people.  I read the email, had a mild heart attack and promptly replied that Sprinkles was on leave for the next week and I would reply as soon as I was back.  The next few days were spent simultaneously looking for animals in the Kruger park and having thoughts of a monstrous cake swirling around in my head.
When I got home, I pulled myself together, gathered some ideas and set about preparing a quote.  Because the request came through 3 months before the cake was due, many emails bounced back and forth before a final plan came together.  The initial idea of having one cake that fed 300 odd people was thrown out the window (thank goodness) and instead, 2 identical cakes were ordered to be delivered over 2 days, one after the other.   The cakes were to represent Aladdin and Jasmines wedding cake and were fairly intricate.
Thanks to my love of lists and some serious planning, the magnitude of the task was broken into smaller tasks. 12 individual cakes needed to be made, iced and covered, gold drapes and balls needed to be prepared and painted, and an urn needed to be made from fondant and painted. 


Gold balls ready for decorating 

Drapes painted and ready

By Wednesday all the prep had been done and on Thursday I began icing and covering the cakes and finally putting everything together.  As with all big cakes, the thought of making them is always more daunting than anything.  Bit by bit the cake came together and I finally had a wedding cake for Aladdin and Jasmine.  

Cake covered and  drying

The final addition was the urn and the characters from Aladdin (who I won’t even pretend to have made). 



                                 
The urn has been added and the cake is in my car ready to go.  Aladdin, Jasmine and the magic carpet add the final touch
                        
                           Finished cake number 1
Finished cake number 2

The cake was delivered at 8am on Friday morning, and then I came back to repeat the whole process for the next day’s cake!  


 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment