Tuesday 14 May 2013

Fish out of water

People who don’t bake don’t get it. The fact that I can take a few key elements and turn them into a delicious cake still makes me so happy.  Watching cakes rise in the oven and smelling that my cake only has a few minutes left in the oven is so satisfying. 
Baking has always been a great metaphor for my life, there a guideline of how you need to create your cake, but how you decorate is completely up to you.
This week, I was asked to make a 40th birthday cake with a fishing theme. The men in my family are, by their own admission, NOT fishermen. So I haven’t really had too much exposure to fishing ‘stuff’. I had a look at a couple of cakes online to get inspired and then set about making the various parts for my cake.
Once the cake was baked, cooled and iced, I covered it with my blank canvas of blue fondant. So with a blue cake and a tray of ‘bits and pieces’ I set to work.

Slowly the blue fondant turned into a pond and the green bits became reeds. Soon my pond was filled with fish and a boat. This is probably the closest to fishing that I’m going to get, but this is definitely my kind of fishing!
 
Fish themed cake

No comments:

Post a Comment