Monday 23 July 2012

Mini flower cakes

Last week while I had some time on my hands, I decided to make some mini cakes decorated with fondant.  I love working with fondant and just think it looks amazing on cakes, but I don't use it too often.  The base for my cakes was simple vanilla cakes iced with butter cream, i wanted to do something quick so i could focus on the decorating.

For the first cake I just cut out three different sizes of flowers and then planned to cover the entire cake. I've seen this idea a couple of times and just think it looks beautiful. I totally underestimated how many flowers I would need, so I just had to improvise.  I covered the side of the cake completely and then dotted the last few flowers on top.  I was so happy with the way it turned out, and when I put the finishing dusting of glitter on it I was sad that I hadn't made it for a specific reason other than to sit in my kitchen and get eaten!



The second cake was inspired by an idea I saw on Pinterest, I loved the flowers so decided to attempt to make them using my scalloped edge cutters. I also underestimated how many flowers I would need for this cake, but this time round I couldn't just improvise. Luckily they're so quick to make so I cut out some more rounds and quickly had enough flowers. I also discovered that these flowers can easily be made while talking on the phone! Once I had enough flowers I secured them onto the cake using some pearl pins that I had, and the sides of the cake just got a couple of spots to finish them off.


I was so happy with how both the cakes turned out and had just as much fun taking photo's and sampling the final product!


No comments:

Post a Comment